Most people think Halloween is all about the costumes. Us? We say it’s all about the hair. Which is a pretty convenient philosophy to have when you wait till the last minute to put a costume together (don't worry, we're guilty as well).
But just because life is hectic or Halloween slipped your mind, that doesn’t mean you should throw on last year’s get-up and call it a day - not without finding a fresh Halloween hairstyle to rock alongside it!
In fact, we’ve got you covered with three totally killer, low-maintenance Halloween updos that will solve your no-costume prob in minutes.
A fierce and fab Scary Spice (you know you’ve got some animal print-gear in your closet). Or, if you prefer, a kickass Wonder Woman (leggings, V-neck and arm bands pull the look together) - or even a Wednesday Addams braid to give your get-up that gothy feel.
The best part? It’ll look like you had it planned all along. Trust us.
1. SCARY SPICE HAIR: HERE'S HOW TO GET THE LOOK
- Make two small pigtails on both sides of a center part
- Wrap each pigtail into a bun and secure with pins
- Wrap a thin, gold wire around each bun
- Spray Style on Steroids and tease hair for extra volume
- Fill in part and hairline using Root Cover Up to make hair look thicker
2. WEDNESDAY ADDAMS HAIR: HERE'S HOW TO GET THE LOOK
Want to recreate Wednesday’s dance scene braid hairstyle?! Check out Amber’s Halloween updo tutorial using Style on Steroids, our color-safe texturizing spray that helps give hair long-lasting memory without drying it out.
- Start with your hair in two low ponytails and section out your bangs
- Apply Style On Steroids to give your hair texture
- Braid both sides of your hair
- Pull each braid through so that they're flat to your head and tighten
- Pin in a criss-cross fashion so that the braids stay put
- Position, curl your bangs and spritz Style On Steroids again
3. WONDER WOMAN HAIR: HERE'S HOW TO GET THE LOOK
- Saturate wet hair with Dream Coat Supernatural Spray, then blow-dry using a brush and tension. Go over with a flat iron. Pull your hair up into a high ponytail, spray Cult Favorite on a brush to catch flyaways and create a smooth finish, secure with an elastic
- Fill in part and hairline using Root Cover Up
- Spread a glitter gel around the ponytail elastic (we love The Product Junkie Extraaaa Glitter!)
- Continue to spread the glitter up through the ponytail and down onto the head in small streaks
- Finish with Cult Favorite to tame fly-aways and lock in the style
ACCESSORIES & STYLING TIPS FOR YOUR HALLOWEEN HAIRSTYLE
Temporary Hair Color
- Spray-on hair colors are available in various shades, including neon and pastel colors.
- Hair chalks can also be used to add temporary streaks of color to your Halloween updo.
- Remember to wear gloves to avoid staining your hands and always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- If you want to completely change your hair without the commitment, wigs are a great option. From long and flowing to short and spiky, there's a wig for every look. Already got one and in need of tips to maintain it? Find out how to fix a frizzy wig with our guide.
- Add Halloween-themed hairpins, clips, or headbands.
- Spiders, skeletons, bats, and other spooky motifs can be found in many accessory stores around Halloween.
- Add some hair glitter or shimmer spray to give your Halloween updo a magical or otherworldly appearance.
- Clip-in extensions can add length, volume, or even streaks of color. They're easy to apply and remove. You can keep them fresh, glossy, long and strong with our selection of products for extension care too.
We hope we’ve given you plenty of food for thought when it comes to Halloween hair ideas this year. Whether you're aiming for subtly eerie or full-on ghastly, remember that the key lies in letting your imagination run wild. So, grab your hair products, channel your inner stylist, and craft a hairdo that will make heads turn this Halloween.
GET ALL THE HAIR STYLING INSPIRATION YOU NEED FROM THE COLOR WOW BLOG: